My definition of training is: “making your MIND comfortable with the fact that your BODY is going to be a little uncomfortable”. People who don’t like to exercise usually just don’t like to be uncomfortable, but getting out of our comfort zones – mentally or physically – is where positive change happens. Nobody improves while sitting under a warm fuzzy blanket. My specialty is helping people to get out of their comfort zones whether it’s for a minute or an hour. I can’t make someone want to get stronger, leaner or fitter, but if they want to do it, I’m with them all the way! Most of us have some kind of fear of commitment, right? One of my favorite mottos is, COMMITMENT = FINISHING WHAT YOU START. I believe that life is a series of many goals and some take longer to accomplish than others. Being the best you can be takes a lifetime of commitment to yourself and to the others in your life. Never let the grass grow under your feet….life’s too short!
Who I Am
I attended Emerson College in Boston where I received my B.A. degree in Mass Communication with a concentration in television/broadcasting. Having gained 25 lbs. throughout high school and college from living a very unhealthy lifestyle (smoking, drinking, clubbing and playing in punk rock bands!), I decided to make a 180-degree change and committed to making “health and fitness” a way of life.
Since I too could find a million excuses not to make it to the gym, I took a part time job teaching aerobics classes after my full-time job at a production company so I would have to go! I quickly realized that teaching fitness satisfied my craving for making a positive impact in peoples’ lives, which is why I majored in Mass Communication to begin with.
I use my mass communication background to educate, motivate and mentor hundreds of students and clients. I feel my passion for teaching fitness is evident through my dedication to helping people become happier and healthier through exercise.
Having worked at all of L.A.’s most prestigious studios and fitness facilities, I am a well-respected and recognized name in the world of fitness. More than being a typical fitness instructor, I consider myself a “Workout Designer” and “Coach”. I specialize in all types of training ranging from Spinning, to Step Aerobics, to Core Fusion to Pilate’s.
As a Spinning Master Trainer, I was one of the world’s first certified instructors and traveled worldwide teaching workshops and certifying trainers. My cycling classes are broken down into “seasonal goals” to prevent fitness plateaus, overuse injuries and improve the body’s ability to metabolize fat and burn more calories.
As a top Step Aerobics instructor, I taught Master Classes from L.A. to Europe and was a pioneer in choreography for Double Step. Over the years, I have developed a popular 30-minute Core training class that targets the abdominals, low back buttocks. This routine combines a fusion of modified yoga and Pilate’s moves with old-school gym class xercises creating a diverse workout that never gets stale.
Currently you can find me teaching any of my specialty classes: Spinning, Pilate’s Reformer, Core Fusion, Abs/Butt/Low Back and Sculpting classes at Equinox, Sports Club/LA and Gold’s Gym-Venice.
I have appeared in numerous episodes of the hit TV workout series “Crunch!”, “Crunch!” home workout videos, and interstitials called “The 10-minute Trainer” for Body By Jake Productions. You may have seen me in a 2-page print ad for the VW Eos for which I was also a consultant, and I can be seen anytime teaching some great exercises on studio4fitness.tv.
In addition to my on-camera work, I also serve as a consultant to Guthy-Renker, the world’s largest infomercial corporation and as a Producer, Writer and Director for various infomercials.
When not teaching or training, I am often working on infomercials as a Host, Producer, Director, Writer or Consultant. I am represented by 2 agencies for fitness modeling and spokesperson work and hosting.
If I can get this fit, so can most anyone. If you look at me and think I’ve never struggled with my weight or that I’ve been fit and athletic my whole life you’d be completely wrong! From 16 – 22, when I should’ve been in the best shape of my life, I was 20 to 25 lbs. heavier than I am now. I had bad posture. I wasn’t a natural at any team sports that I attempted and where I grew up in Queens, there was simply no one to mentor me or help me find a sport I enjoyed. My only physical outlets were swimming when I vacationed at my grandparent’s and dancing school. I studied dance for 10 years but quit when I graduated High School. By the time I went to college, I was in the worst shape of my life! I could not have been unhealthier and my self-esteem got worse as my fitness level deteriorated. This is when most people are at their physical peak. I joined a gym towards the middle of my senior year. A trainer put me on a workout program. I will never forget the day he introduced me to the Stairmaster and told me to do this 3 times a week for 20 minutes. I couldn’t do 5 minutes at level one!! Today, at 40+ years old, I can do hours of cardio, lift weights, row crew, work out with my clients and play with my dog.
You can be in the best shape of your life at any age!
I do not consider myself genetically blessed. I don’t have the perfect set of genes. What I do have is a lot of stubbornness and a little OCD. According to all my doctors, I should not be able to do what I do. I should not be able to perform at the level I do and I should be in chronic pain. My right leg is very poorly aligned (my physical therapist referred to it as a “deformity”) which causes me to have tendonitis in my knee and hip plus has lead to several dozen sprained ankles. I also have Spinal Stenosis in my neck – an arthritic condition where the vertebrae calcify and press on the spinal cord and pinch the nerves. In 2004 I was in a car accident that could have paralyzed me had I not been in the physical condition I was in. I learned I needed emergency surgery and had to have a spinal fusion in my neck – 2 of my discs were herniated and I had lost feeling in the right side of my body. I had to stop working and training for 3 months before and after my surgery. It took me almost a whole year to rebuild my body to where it was before the accident. Unfortunately I will have this condition the rest of my life giving me 2 choices – either back way off my training and give up many of my favorite activities or find new ones. Since rehabilitating myself from the spinal fusion, I joined an Outrigger Canoe racing team (won 3 medals in my novice season!), learned to row crew – both sculling and sweeping, and got certified in teaching Pilate’s Reformer. When one door closes, another one will open – but often you need to be proactive and look for it!
- Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Trainer and Health Coach.
- Spinning (former Master Trainer and IDEA presenter – traveled internationally)
- Step Aerobics (former Master Trainer – traveled internationally)
- Pilates Reformer instructor
- Private Boot Camp Trainer
- ACE, AFAA, Stott Pilates certified.
- Profiled on USA Network for Subaru with my rescue dog Roscoe for their Character Profile series.
- Infomercial Host, Writer and Producer. Provide expert testimonials.
- Lead Trainer and creator of “Feel Fit Forever” fitness videos.
- Testimonial Trainer for infomercials (yes, there’s often times someone helping those Before & After photos get exceptional results).
- IDEA Blogfest Moderator
- Fitness Pro on P90 videos. Fitness model on 2 seasons of CRUNCH! TV workout series and home videos.
- Consultant for Guthy-Renker infomercials – advise on a variety of health and fitness products.
- Writer/Producer and Host for corporate marketing and branding videos.
- Yoga Model in Volkswagon Eos 2-page print ad.
- TV news reporter for a CBS affiliate from 2000 – 2002. Worked as a General Assignment Reporter, Health and Fitness Reporter and Weekend Anchor.
- Co-Host and Co-Producer for El Segundo Magazine – TV news magazine show on local cable from 1998 – 2000.
- Writer and Associate Producer for “Healthy Living” – Body By Jake Prods. 5-min. health news interstitials on Fit-TV and Family Channel from 1996 – 1997.
- Los Angeles Magazine – 1996, one of LA’s best Spinning Instructors.
- Working on providing eBooks and more video content for you!
Interests outside of work.
- Being on the water. I loved rowing with a rowing club, Outrigger canoeing on a team….. next is learning to sail!
- Being on the beach. Whether it’s doing a beach workout or sipping a Mojito, count me in!
- Playing with my rescue dogs. Louie & Rizzo.
- “Reading” audio books.
- Volunteering (various animal adoption orgs. and tutoring high school drop outs in South Central for “A Place Called Home”)
- Music. These days I just listen and play DJ in my fitness classes, but there was a time when I played (poorly but I sure tried!)
- Listening to Podcasts (total junkie for the Moth, This American Life, TED Talks, Tim Ferris show, and so many more).
- Crossword Puzzles.